A Media Student’s Origin Story

Hey, I’m Louisa!

Louisa in LCC by Agathe Bernard Vigneau

I’m 23, from Durham in the North-East of England, and I studied Human Geography for 3 years at Sheffield University for my undergrad. Now I’m here studying MA Media, Communications and Critical Practice at LCC.

Studying Geography at Sheffield was so interesting and I learnt so much about spaces, places, and all the rest in between. My work there predominantly began with stereotypical Human Geography – neoliberalism, capitalism, and international relations. While this was fantastic to learn, and suited me at the beginning, in my second year I found radio.

Radio opened a new world of possibilities and passions to me, and I began to (re)discover my creativity, by which point I had started feeling very stuck in a super academic course – so this was a blessing. From radio, I found a passion for audio editing, recording, communicating with audiences.

By the time I reached my third and final year at Sheffield, I was twisting all assignments and assessments to fit my media and creative pursuits. My dissertation followed the impact that radio can have on a community. Not so Geographic!

To broaden my horizons I decided to come to UAL to study media and communications, to add some further academic experience to subjects I am really passionate about!